The Italian goldsmith Carlo Giuliano (1831–1895), born in Naples, became one of the most important Neo-Renaissance craftsmen in the second half of the 19th century. He studied jewelry and worked in the jewelry firm of Alessandro Castellani in Naples.
In 1860 he was sent to London to found a branch of the Casa Castellani. After some time, he left the Castellani firm, then worked for leading London jewelers: Robert Phillips, Harry Emanuel, Hunt & Roskell and Hancocks & Co.
In 1875, he opened his own firm and retail store at 115 Piccadilly. His firm specialized in Renaissance jewelry. Carlo Giuliano ‘s jewelry company produced fine enameled gold jewelry that remained popular well into the 20th century. His decorations, inspired by patterns from the 16th and 17th centuries, are reminiscent of elaborate Renaissance pendants with their colorful enamelled gold frames, ivory scenes and cameo portraits.
Carlo Giuliano’s work attracted distinguished clients who appreciated the beauty of fine jewelry, including King Edward VII, Queen Alexandra and Queen Victoria.
The family business was continued by the sons of Giuliano – Carlo and Arturo. The firm continued to operate until 1914.